Saturday, January 18, 2014

It’s Time: January 16th/January 17th

     It didn't feel real yet on the plane. My bags were packed, my mom was gone, I was sitting at the first gate, but it still didn’t feel real yet. 13 weeks, 1 suitcase, 5 minutes until boarding, and numerous deep breaths. I know everything isn’t going to be rainbows and butterflies, but I also know time goes quick. After all, the last 21 years did, didn’t they? Time is always silently slipping away, so as terrified as I am for this, I know it was the right choice.

     I was lucky enough to sit next to nice people on all my plane rides. On the longest rides I sat next to two business men. Even though they were much older than me and in business, one of them was even a surfer who had never been to America, they had so many stories from where they had traveled all over the world and they were just as interested to hear my stories as I was to hear theirs.  I was also lucky to have no problems getting over here, hopefully getting home in six weeks will be the same way. Getting off the plane in Johannesburg was scary. Not only was the airport huge and intimidating, but that’s when it hit me that I’m really here, I’m really doing this.


     When I arrived in Port Elizabeth, it was 9:30 at night (2:30 in the afternoon US time). Dr. Singh picked me up from the airport and drove me to the apartments I would be living in for the next six weeks, pointing out different sites along the way. Since it was dark outside, it didn’t seem too different to me than what I’d imagine Florida to look like, but I guess I’ll find out today. There are three girls (including me) me in my apartment and two girls in the apartment across the hall. They all seem really nice and have already been here for a few days, so they are going to show me around tomorrow, and most importantly take me to the Boardwalk where there’s free wifi so I can let everyone know I arrived safely.  The apartment looks somewhat like a College Avenue apartment, except a little smaller and there is only one bedroom instead of two. There are no desks either. Also, my bed is in the living room and my closet is technically a kitchen cupboard, which I find kind of hilarious. There is no air conditioning, and only a fan in the living room, which I guess makes me lucky to have my bed there. It’s cooler at night right now, so I wonder how hot it will get during the day tomorrow and heaven forbid if it rains and we have to close the windows, but I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. I shouldn’t have complained about all those hot weeks living in Ashland dorms, because it really prepped me for this haha. It hit me all at once as soon as I sat down in the apartment, I miss everyone from home. I know it’s hard right now, but I also know that once I get my wifi set up and start a routine going to school, things will get much better since I will be able to talk to everyone and be busy. Well, it’s off to sleep so I’m awake and rested to go explore the city tomorrow. Love you all and miss you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment